EDUCATION AND SPORTS
Formal education is a powerful tool for transformation of any society as people are empowered with knowledge, skills and positive attitudes to explore and utilize the available resources. Mayuge district education department was established in February 2001 and has now existed for ten years. During this period, the department has numerable achievements, constraints and challenges.
The situational analysis gives you a synopsis of the department in general.
“Creating competence and passion of all stakeholders for academic excellence”.
- To increase the literacy rate from 40% to 70% by the year 2019
- To promote the teaching of science subjects at all levels
- To reduce pupil classroom ratio from 102 to 70 by 2019
- To reduce pupil-desk ratio from 7 to 4 by 2019
- To reduce pupil teacher ratio from 61 to 50 by 2019
- To reduce the school drop- out rate by 40% by 2019.
- To ensure proper utilization of funds, teaching and learning materials.
The education department has three sectors; administration and management, inspectorate and special needs. The district education officer is the overall head of the directorate and directorate and coordinates the daily running of the education activities from schools, district and national levels. At the sub county there is a frame work on education matters. There are chairpersons and secretaries for education..
Ideally school immediate supervisors are the village chairpersons, PTAs, SMCs, chairpersons LCIII, sub county chiefs, assistant community development officers, CCTs for technical advice.
Mayuge district has the following categories of schools: